THEORY OF FUSION PLASMAS
Joint Varenna-Lausanne International Workshop
Villa Monastero, Varenna
August 24 – 28, 2020
– Swiss Plasma Center, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
– “Piero Caldirola” International Center for the Promotion of Science and International School of Plasma Physics, Italy
– Istituto per la Scienza e Tecnologia dei Plasmi (ISTP), Italy
– Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Italy
D. BORBA (Lisbon, Portugal)
L. FIGINI (Milano, Italy)
X. GARBET (Cadarache, France) Chairman
L. GARCIA (Madrid, Spain)
J.P. GRAVES (Lausanne, Switerland) co-Scientific Secretary
P. HELANDER (Greifswald, Germany)
T. HENDER (Culham, United Kingdom)
T. JONSSON (Stockholm, Sweden)
Y. KISHIMOTO (Naka, Japan)
S. MEDVEDEV (Moscow, Russian Federation)
V.P. PASTUKHOV (Moscow, Russian Federation)
A. PEETERS (Bayreuth, Germany)
E. POLI (Garching, Germany)
T. SATO (Nagoya, Japan)
O. SAUTER (Lausanne, Switzerland) co-Scientific Secretary
A. SEN (Bhat, IPR, India)
P. SNYDER (San Diego, USA)
W.M. TANG (Princeton, USA)
D. TSKHAKAYA (Prague, Czech Republic)
F. WAELBROECK (Austin, USA)
F. ZONCA (Frascati, Italy)
“Piero Caldirola” International Centre for the Promotion of Science and International School of Plasma Physics
Prof. E. Sindoni, Honorary President – Prof. Giuseppe Gorini, President
LIST OF TOPICS
1) Anomalous Transport (Turbulence, Coherent Structures, Microinstabilities)
2) RF Heating and Current Drive
3) Non Axisymmetric Configurations
4) Macroinstabilities and Magnetic Reconnections
5) Theoretical Aspects of Plasma-Edge Physics and Divertors
6) Theoretical issues related to burning plasmas
Presentations discussing ITER-related topics are particularly welcomed
In addition to invited survey papers, contributed papers (poster only) will be selected on the basis of a one-page abstract. The LateX templates required for the papers can be used for the submitted abstracts as well (see below).
Abstracts should be sent in pdf format, file name as “NAME_Varenna20_abstr.pdf”, by June 15, 2020 to:
O. SAUTER, SPC/EPFL, Station 13, PPB-Ecublens,
CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Fax +41-21-6935176 e-mail:
As usual, papers will be published in a refereed journal with IOP. The journal will be Plasma Phys. Contr. Fusion (PPCF), for the main papers, and Journal of Physics Conference Series (JPCS) for the other papers.
– The papers published in PPCF will follow the usual refereeing process of this journal and will be published as a cluster of papers related to the Varenna-Lausanne Theory of Fusion Plasmas 2020 Conference.
Follow the guidelines and then LaTeX templates. Note that YOU NEED TO PROVIDE THE PDF PAPER BY FRIDAY 21 AUGUST 2020, so that we can organize the refereeing process in due time.
– The papers published in JPCS will be refereed mainly by the scientific committee and participants of the conference, supervised by X. Garbet and O. Sauter, acting as Editors. The JPCS papers will have a header stating explicitly that the papers have been refereed. Naturally the refereeing process will be lighter (typically one referee) than the PPCF publication. Follow the guidelines and the LateX templates. Note that YOU NEED TO PROVIDE THE PDF PAPER BY FRIDAY 21 AUGUST 2020, so that we can organize the refereeing process in due time.
When submitting the paper, the author can propose a publication in PPCF or JPCS, however the final decision is under the responsibility of the scientific committee. Typically invited papers will be published in PPCF and contributed papers in JPCS.
Papers, invited (typically 10 pages but no hard limit) and contributed (typically 6-8 pages, but no hard limit), have to follow the Latex guidelines and templates provided by PPCF and by JPCS.
The deadline for the paper is the week before the conference.
Thus send the paper before August 21, 2020, by email to
Registration fee: 500 EUROS (students 300 EUROS) should be paid by bank transfer before July 31, 2020 to:
Banca Popolare di Sondrio, Account opened in favour of
“International Center Piero Caldirola”
IBAN: IT40B0569651490000041377X47 BIC/SWIFT: POSOIT22XXX
Please, state as motivation of payment: YOUR FULL NAME – Participation “Theory 2020”
All bank expenses are at participants’ charge. Should the net amount transferred to the bank account be less than the requested amount, the difference will be charged to participants at the conference.
Alternatively we accept cash-only payment in Varenna at the registration desk.
Please note that credit cards cannot be accepted for payment of the registration fee.
The fee covers admission to the Workshop and social events.
Application and hotel reservation form can be obtained from the Organizing Secretariat at the following address:
Mrs. Donatella Pifferetti e-mail:
Deadline for application: May 15, 2020
Application, hotel reservation May 15, 2020
Abstract submission May 15 to June 15, 2020
Late Abstract may be accepted until July 3, 2020
Post-deadline Abstract (not included in the Book of Abstracts)
may be accepted until August 20, 2020
Payment of registration fee by bank transfer July 31, 2020
(otherwise cash at registration desk)
Manuscript delivery August 21, 2020
Mrs Donatella Pifferetti: phone +39-0341 732490
International Conference on
Villa Monastero, Varenna
September 7 – 11, 2020